look, a rainbow!

I just learned about this fun Monday Listicles¬†project and today’s theme is THANK YOU.

You never need to ask me twice to talk about things I’m thankful for. And also, rainbows. I’m fond of talking about them, too.

So let’s do this thing:

THANK YOU RED for finally going away. You’re usually my favorite color and all, but not when you attach yourself to me in the form of a colorful sunburn. I don’t really have a color – or a thank you – for the molting I’m doing now, though.

THANK YOU ORANGE for not rhyming with one single thing. I love that about you. Way to find your place in the crowd. A colorfully loud crowd. (see what I did there?)

THANK YOU YELLOW for being the color of the big, bright orb in the sky. I don’t really like it when you plot a conspiracy against me with red but right now, it’s about you. Not me. Thank you, for all that you do. And the vitamin D thing. Super helpful. You know, for living and stuff.¬†(note: that says “THANK YOU YELLOW” above and I promise to never use this color for text again).

THANK YOU GREEN for being the color that could visit my wallet more often, you know, if you wanted to. You don’t call, you don’t write. Was it something I said? I have always loved you, do I not show it enough? If you come visit I promise to make you feel welcome. You can wear my favorite slippers, even.

THANK YOU BLUE for being way more fun to play with than orange. Sorry, sometimes love is tough. Oh, blue. I’ve lost my shoe and I have no clue what I should do. I feel so …. blue. Are you taking notes, orange?

THANK YOU VIOLET for your rainbow of confusion. Seriously, what’s the deal? I grew up in a time when it was all about ROYGBP. And by P I mean PURPLE. Now you go and throw yourself into the mix, and I have to worry about INDIGO, too? Next thing you’re going to tell me is that Pluto isn’t a planet. I really can’t take much more of this.

Since the rules for this game are to list 10 THINGS and there are only six colors in the rainbow (don’t start with me, violet and indigo. I’m not in the mood for your shenanigans) I’d better throw in a few extra-credit colors:

THANK YOU BEIGE for being such a good sport. Man, do you get a bad rap. One quick google search is all it took to find an article called, “Why You Should Hate Beige.” That is HARSH, people. Normally I would do the right thing and link back to the source, but in this case, come on. Poor beige deserves a break.

After all, we have beige to thank for making the rest of the world brighter. Beige, I totally meant that in a nice way. Please stop crying.

THANK YOU GRAY for being an ACTUAL COLOR and not 50 shades of a passing fad.
I am all about finding a good page-turner, but I was a fan of gray WAY before it was famous.*

*Disclaimer: I am not talking to the gray that has decided to move in for good on top of my head. Oh yeah, I am SUPER thankful for THAT gray, said no woman ever.

THANK YOU WHITE for being extra awesome in your use of negative space, but entirely a FAIL when it comes to fitting into this whole colored-text thing I’ve got going on here. I’m hopeful everyone will just look past it and appreciate the irony.

THANK YOU BLACK for all the ways you make me feel good about myself, even when the camera doesn’t get my best angle. You’ve always been there for me, so slimming and supportive, even on my most muffin-toppy of days.

What are you thankful for? I’d love to hear from you! And if you happen to have TWO things to list, feel free to save one for tomorrow because you know it will be all about gratituesday….

23 Responses to “look, a rainbow!”

1. stashabecker
    July 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

This is oh so fabulous. I saw you admitting to fudgsicle earlier today and made a mental note to visit you later. Because it rhymes with listicle. We were meant to be. On both sides of the rainbow!

• justbeginfromhere
      July 16, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

Thank you so much!! I may or may not have had a rainbow-colored popsicle tonight, too. I’m just saying. I was inspired.

2. Erica M
    July 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Writers on the yeah write grid put the most delightful spin on random topics. I wonder who they may get that from?

This was a fun, fun post. Thanks for sharing. It was worth the wait.

• justbeginfromhere
      July 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Ha! Thank you so much, Erica! For stopping by, and for inspiring this newbie to do better each day w/ her blog and with her writing. I heart the YW community in big huge ways!

3. 50peach
    July 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm #

Yay for fun-with-font-color rainbows and your snarky humor! But girl, you left out PEACH! Please don’t tell me I’m in the shenanigans time-out box with Indigo and Violet. I’ll be heartbroken. Snifffffff.

• justbeginfromhere
      July 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

OMG! Was that ever a faux pas! Please forgive. Here, let me fix this right up: THANK YOU PEACH for being so delicious when I find you in cobbler, yogurt and pie. I wish I could thank you for your fuzzy skin, but I’m sorry. I just have to tell you this. That fuzzy skin bugs the crap out of me. There! Better? xo!

4. Robbie
    July 16, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

love your colorful post & glad you linked up.

5. Amelia
    July 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

I see you figured out how to add color! I think in previous posts you said you couldn’t get the hang of it! I enjoy your blog, keep the stories coming!

• justbeginfromhere
      July 16, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Thank you so much! Admittedly, I did have to ask for help… :) Thank you for following along with me!

6. Stacie @ Snaps and Bits
    July 17, 2012 at 5:05 am #

So fun, how did I not know about listicles? Green is my favorite color but I would not have thought of money!!

• justbeginfromhere
      July 17, 2012 at 6:04 am #

Thanks, Stacie! I just found out about it yesterday from Yeah Write. The green “thanks” is rather tongue-in-cheek because the truth is, while I never seem to carry cash in my wallet (much to my mom’s chagrin! :) I am thankful to have enough to live on but don’t need a lot of it. :)

7. Clueless neighbor
    July 17, 2012 at 5:10 am #

Just remember that beige goes with everything, so it may be considered the friendliest of all the colors. Im just sayin’!

8. Julie
    July 17, 2012 at 10:19 am #

Green had me ‘loling’ …. thankful that I can buy Hello Kitty coloring books for my daughter and I’m probably looking forward to it a tiny bit more!

• justbeginfromhere
      July 17, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Ha! LOVE HK! Try to get the one with the stickers. Love the stickers.

9. Janet
    July 17, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Love this fun post and your sense of humor and wit! Wish we were neighbors ’cause we’d be discussing way more than a good rainbow. I’m with you on orange, way to blaze your own trail! ~ JP

• justbeginfromhere
      July 17, 2012 at 11:38 am #

ohmygosh, thank you so much! I really appreciate you stopping by. Let’s be virtual neighbors and discuss clouds too, mmmkay?

10. rayann11
    July 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm #

Ok, where the heck is PINK!!!! xoxo Mom You know, the Mom with the PINK kitchen…

• justbeginfromhere
      July 17, 2012 at 4:24 pm #

OMG, I KNEW there was a color I was missing….. sorry about that! Loveyoumeanit!

11. Jill
    July 17, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Best list ever! So creative.

12. Adventures w/Autism (@dkotucker)
    July 18, 2012 at 12:02 am #

Absolutely agree with Jill (above)! Creative and had me LMAO!!!

Great list!!! Diane