what lies beneath – part two.

Before I finish this horror story, I should probably give you a quick run update. I’m starting to feel like those of you that are reading along for the running portion of my blog might be starting to think I’m full of hot air.

Actually, I can’t confirm or deny that last part, but I did run 10 miles this weekend. In a row. You know, no big deal.*

*Disclaimer: that was sarcasm. It was a big deal, to me.

I averaged a 12-minute mile, which isn’t quite fast enough to be Katie’s running partner any time soon, but it was plenty fast for me, given how hot and muggy it was.

I did an out-and-back course. Out-and-backs are my favorite because, unless you’re a fan of hitchhiking (which I’m not, though we all know I have the thumbs for it), once you get OUT you have to get BACK. It’s one of the many psychological games I play with myself to get through my runs.

Alright, now where was I on this story? Oh, right. This was happening:

After that crunchy little bugger had darted back down behind the bed for the second and pray-to-God the last time, I was a complete wreck. John tried to reassure me that these things happen, we were in the tropics after all, but that did nothing to calm my nerves.

I left the light on and laid down in bed, but there was no freaking way I was going to sleep that night.

It was about 11pm and I laid there. Eyes. Wide. Open. Until 6am.

And then I got up and did what any reasonable person would do. I snuck into the bathroom to make a wake-up call to the property manager.

I had decided that I didn’t want to tell anyone else in the house and suffer in silence for the rest of the trip. I wasn’t trying to be a martyr, I just didn’t think it was necessary to traumatize everyone else and make them wonder every night if they were going to get a little visitor dropping by.

I told the property manager what had happened.

She was plenty sympathetic and assured me that the house and its perimeter had been sprayed just days before. It couldn’t be sprayed again this soon, though, especially with young children around, but she said that she’d send the exterminator to set traps all around the house (inside and out).

After the traps were set, I secretly monitored them all day, every day. I couldn’t decide if I WANTED to see a roach trapped in these little cardboard Hotel California’s or if it would be better to NOT see one.

As it turned out, I never did see one. In the traps, in my hair, or in my bed.

But, the damage had already been done.

I spent the entire week in a sleep-deprived daze. I left the light on every night (sorry, love) and hoped that Ambien would help (it didn’t).

The moral of the story? Avoid ground-floor accommodations when on vacation.

Have you ever had something like this happen? I’d love to hear from you!

22 Responses to “what lies beneath – part two.”

1. Stacie @ Snaps and Bits
    July 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

You know my story since I left it on Part 1! I can’t believe that even Ambien didn’t help, it’s usually such a wonder drug. Here’s to hoping this was the first and last time for roach shenanigans in your life!

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Ha ha – I was thinking of YOU when I posted that question on part 2! I should have said, “Has anyone besides Stacie had this happen to them?” :) And yes, I usually really enjoy a good Ambien once in awhile, but that was just a hell-on-wheels week.

2. Christy
    July 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Does that cockroach-y thing bite?? Gross. I found a huge one in a hotel room once, and they gave us our $$ back. In February I got stung by a scorpion, in bed, under the covers in my own house. I’m still traumatized. Hope you can bounce back quicker than me!! lol

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

No, I don’t think they bite but I am hardly the authority! OMG, a scorpion sting??? Yikes!! So sorry that happened!

3. Eric Sipple (@saalon)
    July 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

When I was in Arizona, I was terrified – TERRIFIED – of scorpions and tarantulas. So afraid they’d end up in my shoes or my bed. I feel ya.

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

Now I have to start looking in my SHOES every day? Thanks a lot, pal! On a side note, I actually really like spiders and never EVER kill them. But, we don’t have fuzzy tarantulas here. Except one time in Olivia’s classroom at preschool but it was safely in a glass box.

4. rayann11
    July 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Do you really think a higher elevation would have helped? Can’t those nasty things go everywhere? xoxo Mom

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

It’s the fantasy world I live in, Mom. Don’t burst the bubble. :) Loveyoumeanit!

5. Julie
    July 15, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Ha ha! Of course that has happened to me…I live in New Orleans, do you know the roach population in this swampy city? I probably should not even tell you.

It takes a lot to grose me out when it comes to roaches. Growing up in our old drafty house we saw them around. Now were pretty good at not having in our house and will rarely find one. BUT, my mom-in-law, bless her heart is old, doesn’t see so well and isn’t a clean freak. (Warning, this may grose you out, bc it did me). One night I found a roach crawling through her silverware drawer. She sort of dismissed it and said her husband let this “one” in. I open her cupboards and there is another under the sink. She says its the same one that just moved. Okay….. I look on the counter behind something and there are roach pellets (poo poo). And finally, a dead roach in the dishwasher!!! All in one night.

Um, HELLO! I had to text Michael bc it was grosing me out so much. Ultimately, Michael went over and put out the stuff we use and had the seals to outside checked and I think we are in the all clear.

Girl….you would have died. Eyes. Wide. Open ;)

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

O. M. G. I did just die a little. And I might have peed some, too. From the fright. YIKES!!!!!!!

6. john
    July 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm #

Well at least with this cockroach story, unlike the Mexico one, I didn’t get punched in the face at 3 am. The light on all night is much better.

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

Ha ha, that’s true, babe! Love you to bits!

• rayann11
      July 16, 2012 at 10:13 am #

Oh, John/son, I hope you got punched for your own good reason and not bc I thought mixing Tequila and Ambien was a good idea and ended up snoring (just I little) and Melisa thought it was you snoring and slugged you. Or maybe that was when we were in Las Vegas and not Mexico – this darn memory of mine. Again, I do apologize for that one! Loveyoumeanit….Mom/Pat

• justbeginfromhere
        July 16, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Mom, you are killing me! The incident John is referencing was years and years ago in Mexico (Playa del Carmin). It was just him, me, and a flying cockroach! LoveYOUmeanit!

7. jaymzmac
    July 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

When I lived in Hawaii on the Big Island one of my favorite games was to sneak into the kitchen late at night with a rolled up newspaper, flip on the light, and smash the hell out of the scattering roaches on the countertops. But the real problem was the cane spiders – when they burn the suger cane fields, it displaces hundreds of them. They’re as big as Olivia’s hand and you can actually hear them when they crawl on the wall…. Fortunately, they prefer to live outside.

• jaymzmac
      July 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Hi – this gave my online name. This is Jim from EHCC!

• justbeginfromhere
        July 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Oh hi Jim! :) I am going crazy over that story you just told. I actually like spiders and never kill them, but that sounds like a complete take-over! Couldn’t handle it. And ugggghhhh the roaches! Why do they have to be so big and crunchy???

8. Ryan Betting
    July 15, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

I know somethings are scary, gross, ‘crunchy’, or or just plain rude … But have you ever notice that the walking creature with the fewest feet usually wins?? So if you ever see a spider/critter running around with one leg and looking like its coming for you that’s when you should run!! I’m guessing if this happens those 12 minute miles will turn into 8 minutes. ;)-

Hope all is well

• justbeginfromhere
      July 15, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Ha ha! Ryan, that made me LOL, seriously! Will you be at the reunion? Hope so!

9. Joseph Cereola
    July 16, 2012 at 10:01 am #

The past few days we’ve been pulling tick off the dogs, not fun.

10. Katie @ Runs for Cookies
    July 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

I, too, love the out & back runs for the same reason! A lot of people say they don’t like them because it’s boring to look at the same scenery, but I don’t see it that way at all–it’s like new scenery because you’re seeing it from a different angle anyway.

I would be your running partner anytime! ;)